Most people find Bangkok very chaotic. But when I came to Bangkok I was thinking; what a nice and calm city! Yeah, I was brainwashed. I was coming from crazy India! Everything is quite chill after that. Here is my tips about how to get a nice first time visit in Bangkok!
1. Accommodation: Find a place with walking distance to Khao San Road. Then you are also in walking distance to the most famous temples that you have to see on your first visit.
2. Download an offline map on your phone, like Maps.me, and point in your accommodation and the places you want to see. Then you know where to go and don’t get lost.
3. Walk when you are going to thing within 1-2 km, like between the temples, Khao San Road and your accommodation (if you follow tips nr 1). You will see so much beautiful architecture and less known temples on your way.
4. If you want to visit the temples, use clothes that cover your knees and shoulders! You will not get in if not, or you will have to use some pants they have for tourists that cant dress properly.
5. Bring water! Bangkok can be really hot. It can also be nice to bring some snacks to eat before you are visiting the biggest temples. Especially Grand Palace is bigger than you think.
6. There is a lot of temples, so don’t plan to visit them all. You will get too tired if you are not super interested. I will recommend you to visit Grand Palace and Wat Pho with the reclining Buddha.
7. Try to eat a scorpion on Khao San Road in the evening. Its disgusting, but its fun to have tried it.
8. Get a thai massage. They are stretching you and giving a massage at the same time. It is no better place to get a thai massage than in Thailand.
9. Shopping: Visit the Chatuchak Weekend market and be prepared to stay some hours. It is huge, so get a map over the market. They have everything on this market, from food, clothes, interior, souvenirs+++. If you want more shopping after this, you can go to the biggest shopping mall in Thailand, called The Platinum Mall. You can take a water taxi to this place. The only bad thing about the mall is that you cant try on the clothes before buying. You can also book a trip to the floating market, but that was disappointing and very touristic to be honest.
10. Try new types of food. There is so many new names of food on the menu. Ask what the waitress will recommend and you will be introduced to so much good (and weird) food.